This is a picture of my little guy helping me "size" what will soon be my lawn destroyer.


One day when I was at work, my kids figured they would help dear old Dad by washing the Jeep. They soon realized that bare metal does not take kindly to water. They soon found their shiny car turned into something that Ford Motors would have built,a rusty hulk.


After the first fifty hours of work, I almost decided to bail out on this project, because I thought I had bit off more than I could chew on this one.I had hoped to get this go-kart done for the kids in a few weeks, but never figured it would take over 300 hours to complete.


There's over two 4X8 sheets of 18 gauge sheet metal, as well as over 40 feet of 1 inch square tubing making up the frame. The body was built first, then the frame was built inside of it. I figured this was the easiest way of getting the job done.



The engine came out of an old wood chipper. It's a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. The transmission was given to me by a friend which he took out of a John Deere lawn tractor. While searching through the scrap yard, I picked up a riding lawnmower which had a perfect size differential. I wasn't going to use one originally, but I'm glad I did. I machined a rack and pinion steering from a block of aluminum, and geared it so that it would take at least 2 turns of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock. If I had used the same set-up as I had built on my go-kart, the kids wouldn't have the strength to turn this beast, because when I was done, it ended up weighing 300 pounds.